I’ve been reminded lately in more ways than a few that the most important thing we can do is take care of our selves. I’m coming off some travel to Korea, Japan, Miami and now back home for a while, which has made me realize the importance of self care. I’m lucky, I practice a lot of easy going yoga and eat well so I am rarely sick. I don’t really get jet lagged and I can’t remember the last time I had a cold or the flu. I didn’t always have the grounding self care in my life and I am so grateful to know how to take care of myself so when things start to slip, they don’t slip out of control.
I know you might be thinking, well I have a stressful job, a beyond full schedule, and a busy family to take care of. I have to take care of everyone else there is no time for myself. You have the luxury of teaching yoga and making juices for a living. I totally hear ya and I’m not trying to come across all, it’s so easy, just eat some hummus and relax, holier than though on you. We all have our stress. It’s a part of life. It comes and goes and comes and goes again. The trick I’ve learned along the way is to deal with it when it comes so we aren’t only happy and calm when it’s on a gone cycle.
Getting Over Selfish
Taking care of yourself is not selfish. It is the best thing you can do for yourself, your life, your goals, your dreams, and for everyone you care about in your life. If you’re not healthy you can’t help yourself and your surely can’t help others. If you are only good when you’e not stressed and things are going smoothly, you aren’t much good to yourself whenever a stress wave hits, and your life will be on a roller coaster cycle of drama.
5 Steps to Take Care of Yourself Now
1. Get enough sleep. Wind down your night by putting your phone and computer away. Don’t fall asleep checking instagram. (I’m guilty so I’m just saying) Sleep is essential to your health. Get enough. Start tonight. Here is a routine to wind down your night.
2. Prepare more meals for yourself. If you cook, you are going to pay attention to what you are eating. Get interested in the kitchen. Start preparing your meals. Some of my favorite super simple heathy meals are here.
3. Spend your time wisely. Your time is more valuable than your money. Think about it. It’s true. Spend your time with people that make you feel good. Align yourself with work that fuels your creativity. If you have a job that stresses you out, find ways to not let it consume and squash you.
4. Don’t postpone your happiness. Your life is happening right now. Watch out for thoughts like, I’ll be happy when this happens, or I’ll be happy when this isn’t happening any more. Make changes now that help you feel better so you can take care of your self.
5. And don’t forget You are Perfect! There is nothing to fix. Cultivate and work toward things that inspire you and make habits of things that nurture you. Your health and your life isn’t a goal, it’s an ongoing experience that is happening right now. Enjoy! And take dance breaks!